Descendants of Moses Butts
Generation No. 1
1. MOSES CLARK BUTTS was born January 22, 1829, and died May 02, 1889 in Linn County, KS buried Brooklyn Cemetery, Linn County, KS. He married (2) HENRIETTA MERCER March 30, 1857 in Troy, OH, daughter of SAMUEL MERCER and EUSTACIA HOLLOWAY. She was born 1835 in Ohio, and died April 12, 1911 in Kansas City, KS buried Brooklyn Cemetery, Linn County, KS.
Notes for MOSES CLARK BUTTS:
Some census records show that the parents of Moses Clarke were both born in New Jersey so it can be assumed that his grand parents in America.
Records in Delaware Co. Indiana verify that Moses Butts was a Sergeant of Company I, of the ONE hundred and Eleventh Regiment (minute men) during the Civil War. Governor Morton called for troops when General John Morgan and his Confederates Raiders crossed the Ohio River and mover on the town of Corydon. Morton was apprehended so quickly that the Minute Men of Delaware County was organized and mustered into service on July 12, 1863 and mustered out three days later on July 15, 1863.
In 1872 the family moved to Wyandotte County, Kansas, where it is said that Moses was a wagon maker. Family sources also say that he was also a Kansas City Police Judge during that time. This has not been verified. He listed himself as a cooper by trade. They resided there until 1878 when they moved to Paris Township, Linn County, Kansas
Moses Butts was one of the leading farmers and citizens of Linn County, and his influence was often felt in the direction of public affairs. He was a good and honest man, form in his convictions of right and wrong, true to his friends, and a valued citizen and Neighbor. It is said that he was a pleasure to meet him. Politically speaking he was a Republican and he served this country well. At the time of this death he was a member from his township of the Republican County Central Committee and a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge.
(The following comes from the book "LINN COUNTY, KANSAS, A HISTORY", written by William Ansel Mitchell and copyrighted in 1928. Page 154)
"Moses Clark Butts of Virginia married Henrietta Mercer at Piqua, Ohio and brought his family to Linn County in 1878. Their oldest John Wesley married Lotta Hayes; Frank never married; Osa Eva married Thornton Creager; Harry Edwin married Eva Lingwood; Carl married Alice Donovan; Stella married Elmer Tungett. Carl served in the Spanish-American War. The mother of these Henrietta Mercer was of the great family for whom Mercer County Pennsylvania was named and one of her ancestors rose to distinction in the Revolutionary War. Harry Edwin and his wife Eva Lingwood have seven children and live at the old "Jim Parent ford". Ernest Clark married Mary Fadelma Conley; Lucile married Lester Shearer; Lottie, Helen, Hazel, Buford and Kenneth are at home. The mother, Eva Lingwood Butts, wears a set of gold earrings worn by her grandmother Rose back in Norfolk, England. It was Mr. Butts who helped cut down the big walnut tree which was shipped to Germany in 1902 after being exhibited at the St. Louis World's Fair. It was sold for $300.00. In 1926 Mr. Butts sold a walnut tree on his own place adjoining for $250.00, this tree being only two feet in diameter. A short distance from their home on the old John Hood place is the last log house built in Linn County; now occupied by Earl Craft".
(More on the beauty of the trees in this area of Linn County is addressed on page 324. It also speaks of the two above mentioned trees.)
"The primeval Forest were the glory of this country. Great oaks, giant cotton-woods, great white "ghostly" sycamores, magnificent walnuts, valuable hickory and ash-- this original growth of trees would more than equal the market value of all the land in the county now. If this forest were preserved to us now Congress would petitioned to set it aside and preserve it forever as a national park. If the walnut timber, even a small portion of it, had been made into furniture of the type O.E. Morris and his brother made in their first factory at Moneka, this furniture would be sought out to grace the finest homes in the world. The grandeur of these trees was sublime. From a hill-top this forest scene was wonderfully beautiful, varying with the seasons from the delicate green of the new leaves in the spring to the sombre shades of hot summer and the riot of glorious colors at frost time. It was peace time version of "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord!" But practical men must clear the land to make fields for corn to grow and they began to fall. Oh! The pit of it! I Remember one giant walnut tree that stood above the banks of Big Sugar Creek at the Jim Parent ford. It ran straight up, as erect and stiff and proud as the loftiest pine. Near it as though proud of the association was a gigantic hackberry. Between the two was a miserable shack in which lived a man who left a faint trace on history of his time. This magnificent specimen of God's handiwork was sold in June 1902 for the sum of $300 to the Hamilton Lumber Company of Fort Scott, and they sent a force of men up to cut it down and prepare it for shipment. When this giant was laid flat on the ground it measured six feet in diameter at the base and five cuts ten feet long were sawed out and one at the top eight feet long and over three feet in diameter at the top, making fifty-eight feet of merchantable wood cut into six longs; timber that has since graced the most expensive and most beautiful homes throughout Europe. It required four horses to pull each of these logs to Boicourt, where they were shipped to Fort Scott and there squared by hewing and sent to the World's Fair at St. Louis and then to the seaboard for Shipment to Germany. No wonder we had a feeling we wanted to lick Germany! H.E. Butts and Charlie King (now in California) helped in the work of removing this lovely old tree. In 1926, Mr. Butts sold a much smaller tree off his farm at Parent ford for $250".
Child of MOSES CLARK BUTTS is:
i. JOHN WESLEY BUTTS, b. February 1853, Ohio; d. Deceased; m. LOTTA HAYES.
Children of MOSES BUTTS and HENRIETTA MERCER are:
ii. FRANK BUTTS, b. February 13, 1857; d. May 27, 1913.
2. iii. OSA EVA BUTTS, b. 1859, Ohio; d. April 02, 1937.
3. iv. HARRY EDWIN BUTTS, b. August 31, 1862, Piqua, Miami County, OH; d. July 07, 1958, LaCygne, Linn County, KS.
v. GRANT BUTTS, b. Bet. 1864 - 1865; d. Deceased.
4. vi. CARL BUTTS, b. 1870, Indiana; d. 1947.
vii. ESTELLA MAE BUTTS, b. 1875, Kansas; d. 1949; m. ELMER TUNGETT, 1897; d. Deceased.
Generation No. 2
2. OSA EVA BUTTS (MOSES CLARK) was born 1859 in Ohio, and died April 02, 1937. She married THORNTON CREAGER.
Child of OSA BUTTS and THORNTON CREAGER is:
5. i. GLEN CREAGER.
3. HARRY EDWIN BUTTS (MOSES CLARK) was born August 31, 1862 in Piqua, Miami County, OH, and died July 07, 1958 in LaCygne, Linn County, KS. He married EVALENA LINGWOOD March 20, 1895 in Linn County, KS, daughter of EDWARD LINGWOOD and FRANCES ROSE. She was born January 02, 1870 in Boicourt, Linn County, KS, and died July 28, 1961 in LaCygne, Linn County, KS.
Children of HARRY BUTTS and EVALENA LINGWOOD are:
i. CARL BUTTS, b. February 15, 1896; d. June 30, 1896.
6. ii. ERNEST CLARK BUTTS, b. August 23, 1897, Linn County, KS; d. June 15, 1977, LaCygne, Linn County, KS.
iii. ADDIE LUCILLE BUTTS, b. January 09, 1899, Linn County, KS; d. May 17, 1968; m. ROBERT LESTER SHEARER, September 04, 1923, Linn County, KS; d. Deceased.
7. iv. LOTTIE ELIZABETH BUTTS, b. April 07, 1900, Linn County, KS; d. December 10, 1956, Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS.
8. v. HELEN MARIE BUTTS, b. November 29, 1901, Boicourt, Linn County, KS; d. November 14, 1986, Simi Valley, CA.
vi. HAZEL HILDRED BUTTS, b. June 06, 1903, Linn County, KS; m. SYDNEY JAMES CURNOW, November 26, 1944; b. November 26, 1908, Kern River, CA; d. October 20, 1962, Los Angeles, CA.
9. vii. HARRY BUFORD BUTTS, b. October 31, 1905, Linn County, KS; d. October 01, 1944, Miller, KS.
10. viii. JOHN KENNETH BUTTS, b. August 15, 1914, Linn County, KS; d. 1994, Santa Marie, CA.
4. CARL BUTTS (MOSES CLARK) was born 1870 in Indiana, and died 1947. He married ALICE DONOVAN.
Child of CARL BUTTS and ALICE DONOVAN is:
Generation No. 3
5. GLEN CREAGER (OSA EVA BUTTS, MOSES CLARK)
Child of GLEN CREAGER is:
i. GLEN CREAGER, JR..
6. ERNEST CLARK BUTTS (HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born August 23, 1897 in Linn County, KS, and died June 15, 1977 in LaCygne, Linn County, KS. He married FADELMA CONLEY September 28, 1921. She was born September 01, 1901, and died November 10, 1947.
Children of ERNEST BUTTS and FADELMA CONLEY are:
i. LORETTA EVALINA BUTTS, b. December 28, 1925; m. GEORGE LEWIS BARNARD; b. November 10, 1914
11. ii. ERNESTINE MAE BUTTS, b. May 23, 1928.
12. iii. CLARA ESTALENE BUTTS, b. August 1932.
13. iv. MARION EDWIN BUTTS, b. December 28, 1933.
14. v. FRANCIS RICHARD BUTTS, b. June 06, 1935.
vi. OPAL DELORUS BUTTS, b. August 07, 1936; d. June 25, 1937.
7. LOTTIE ELIZABETH BUTTS (HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born April 07, 1900 in Linn County, KS, and died December 10, 1956 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS. She married ELVEN GUY ZONGKER August 10, 1927 in Mound City, KS, son of PETER ZONGKER and ANNA HAYS. He was born September 09, 1896 in Stafford County KS, and died July 21, 1956 in Sublette, Haskell County, KS.
Child of LOTTIE BUTTS and ELVEN ZONGKER is:
15. i. ELVEN KEITH ZONGKER, b. January 12, 1933, Garden City, Finney County, KS.
8. HELEN MARIE BUTTS (HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born November 29, 1901 in Boicourt, Linn County, KS, and died November 14, 1986 in Simi Valley, CA. She married HERBERT HENRY TREGLOWN October 30, 1927. He was born November 08, 1903 in Cornwall, England, and died December 15, 1973 in Ventura, CA.
Child of HELEN BUTTS and HERBERT TREGLOWN is:
16. i. GLENN LEROY TREGLOWN, b. November 08, 1936, Ventura, CA.
9. HARRY BUFORD BUTTS (HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born October 31, 1905 in Linn County, KS, and died October 01, 1944 in Miller, KS. He married IVA EDNA JOHNSON May 29, 1929 in Paola, KS. She was born July 09, 1908 in Farlinville, Linn County, KS, and died July 11, 1999 in Osawatomie, KS.
Children of HARRY BUTTS and IVA JOHNSON are:
17. i. LOTTIE OPAL BUTTS, b. January 02, 1932, Osawatomie, Miami County, KS.
18. ii. BUFORD LEROY BUTTS, b. July 29, 1933, Linn County, KS.
19. iii. HELEN MARIE BUTTS, b. February 22, 1935, Farlinville, Linn County, KS.
20. iv. LARRY ELDON BUTTS, b. August 09, 1939, LaCygne, Linn County, KS.
21. v. RONALD DAMON BUTTS, b. May 26, 1943, Paola, KS.
10. JOHN KENNETH BUTTS (HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born August 15, 1914 in Linn County, KS, and died 1994 in Santa Marie, CA. He married OLA MAE MERRIMEN March 14, 1943 in Joplin, MO. She was born September 02, 1913 in Pleasanton, Linn County, KS.
Children of JOHN BUTTS and OLA MERRIMEN are:
i. KENNETH ALLEN BUTTS, b. December 25, 1940; d. December 28, 1940, Ventura, CA (Ivy Lawn Cemetery).
22. ii. OLA RENAY BUTTS, b. March 20, 1943, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, CA.
iii. MARK MERRIMAN BUTTS, b. April 15, 1949, Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, CA.
Generation No. 4
11. ERNESTINE MAE BUTTS (ERNEST CLARK, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born May 23, 1928. She married PERRY LARSEN September 1951.
Children of ERNESTINE BUTTS and PERRY LARSEN are:
i. RANDY LARSEN.
ii. DANNY ERNEST LARSEN, m. EVELYN ?.
iii. DEBBIE MARIE LARSEN, m. TIM WADHAM.
12. CLARA ESTALENE BUTTS (ERNEST CLARK, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born August 1932. She married KENNETH BEAMAN September 1952. (div)
Children of CLARA BUTTS and KENNETH BEAMAN are:
i. DICI ANN BEAMAN, b. 1954; m. DOYLE GENE JACKSON.
ii. LILLIAN FAYE BEAMAN, b. 1956; m. DAVE DEPRIMO.
iii. GLENN BEAMAN, m. DARLENE ?.
13. MARION EDWIN BUTTS (ERNEST CLARK, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born December 28, 1933. He married PATRICIA ANN MORGAN October 02, 1954. She was born April 09, 1936.
Children of MARION BUTTS and PATRICIA MORGAN are:
i. BRENDA KAY BUTTS, b. March 28, 1956; m. JAMES LAMB.
ii. LINDA SUE BUTTS, b. February 03, 1963; m. KEVIN WAYNE OLDVADER.
iii. STEVEN LEE BUTTS, b. April 27, 1967. m. Annie OLDVADER
14. FRANCIS RICHARD BUTTS (ERNEST CLARK, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born June 06, 1935. He married ELLEN MAE HAYES September 25, 1954. She was born November 15, 1936.
Children of FRANCIS BUTTS and ELLEN HAYES are:
i. JERROLD ELLIOTT BUTTS, b. July 13, 1955; m. BRENDA KAY WISBEY.
ii. KATHY ELLEN BUTTS, b. July 29, 1958; m. THOMAS ATLEE JAMES.
15. ELVEN KEITH ZONGKER (LOTTIE ELIZABETH BUTTS, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born January 12, 1933 in Garden City, Finney County, KS. He married DOROTHY MARIE KELLEY July 13, 1952 in Ulysses, Grant County, KS (First Baptist Church), daughter of WILLIAM KELLEY and RUTH LAMBERT. She was born November 23, 1934 in Hartman, Prowers County, CO.
Children of ELVEN ZONGKER and DOROTHY KELLEY are:
i. DEBRA SUE ZONGKER, b. October 20, 1953, Greensburg, Kiowa County, KS; m. JAMES ARNOLD ERXLEBEN, August 26, 1978, Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS; b. October 19, 1939, Minneapolis, MN. (div)
ii. RANDALL KEITH ZONGKER, b. December 03, 1954, Greensburg, Kiowa County, KS; m. SUSAN LEIGH FOX, March 16, 1996, Gatlinburg, TN; b. July 07, 1955, Statesville, Iredell County, NC.
iii. KIRK ALAN ZONGKER, b. January 21, 1961, Ulysses, Grant County, KS; m. KATHRYN LYNN KASEL, May 30, 1981, Harper, KS; b. March 12, 1962, Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS.
iv. SHANA KAE ZONGKER, b. March 13, 1962, Ulysses, Grant County, KS; m. (1) COREY SHAWN LAWLESS, March 14, 1981, Coldwater, KS; b. April 06, 1962, Coldwater, KS (div); m. (2) MARK WAYNE HOLLER, February 08, 1991, Buttermilk, Comanche County, KS; b. November 10, 1963, Ashland, Clark County, KS. (div)
16. GLENN LEROY TREGLOWN (HELEN MARIE BUTTS, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born November 08, 1936 in Ventura, CA. He married SUSAN ARLENE LUND June 18, 1966 in Downey, CA. She was born December 24, 1942 in Chicago, IL.
Children of GLENN TREGLOWN and SUSAN LUND are:
i. TIMOTHY GLENN TREGLOWN, b. January 01, 1973, Panorama City, CA.
ii. JENNIFER SUE TREGLOWN, b. March 09, 1976, Panorama City, CA.
17. LOTTIE OPAL BUTTS (HARRY BUFORD, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born January 02, 1932 in Osawatomie, Miami County, KS. She married ROBERT EUGENE PHEGLEY April 20, 1949 in Oswatomie,Miami County, KS. He was born June 15, 1927 in Sprinfghill, KS, and died April 05, 1988 in Olathe, KS.
Children of LOTTIE BUTTS and ROBERT PHEGLEY are:
i. BARBARA LOUISE PHEGLEY, b. January 17, 1950, Kansas City, KS; m. (1) RICHARD E. MUREEN; m. (2) N. KEITH SUTTON, July 17, 1975, Stockton, Mo; b. March 17, 1947.
ii. MICHAEL EUGENE PHEGLEY, b. August 24, 1951, Kansas City, KS; m. (1) VICKI SUE MAHAFFIE; m. (2) DENISE DARLENE JONES; m. (3) JANET BEASLEY, August 18, 1990, Loas Vegas, NV.
iii. DARREN LEE PHEGLEY, b. April 28, 1959, Huston, Harris County, TX; d. September 21, 1986, Dallas, TX; Adopted child; m. ROBYN RYNELLE GRASSI, September 20, 1979, Lenexa, KS.
18. BUFORD LEROY BUTTS (HARRY BUFORD, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born July 29, 1933 in Linn County, KS. He married ROSA MARIE WINTERS April 04, 1953. She was born August 27, 1929 in Ottawa, Franklin County, KS.
Children of BUFORD BUTTS and ROSA WINTERS are:
i. THERESA JEAN BUTTS, b. January 08, 1954, Ottawa, Franklin County, KS; m. FRANK WERNER, March 18, 1978.
ii. BRENDA LEE BUTTS, b. November 01, 1958, Topeks, KS; m. (1) RANDY MCFEE; m. (2) JAMES DARREN MAYO.
iii. MARSHA LYNN BUTTS, b. September 02, 1960, Paola, KS.
iv. GAYLENE BUTTS, b. January 20, 1967, Paola, KS; m. DAVID HOOD III, May 31, 1987, Mesquite, TX.
19. HELEN MARIE BUTTS (HARRY BUFORD, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born February 22, 1935 in Farlinville, Linn County, KS. She married JAMES WILLIAM WINTERS. He was born September 13, 1934 (div)
Children of HELEN BUTTS and JAMES WINTERS are:
i. DEVIN RAY WINTERS, b. September 04, 1956, Paola, KS; Adopted child; m. MELINDA BLACK.
ii. TRUDI KAY WINTERS, b. October 30, 1960, Kansas City, KS; Adopted child; m. (1) RICHARD WAGNER; m. (2) WARRNE KEATON.
20. LARRY ELDON BUTTS (HARRY BUFORD, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born August 09, 1939 in LaCygne, Linn County, KS. He married CAROL MAY WISHART September 11, 1960 in Fontana, KS. She was born February 01, 1942 in Parker, Linn county, KS.
Children of LARRY BUTTS and CAROL WISHART are:
i. LEEANN GAYLENE BUTTS, b. June 24, 1962, Millington, Shelby County, TN; m. BRENT HITTLE.
ii. DONALD GENE BUTTS, b. February 10, 1964, Corpus Christie, TX; d. April 20, 1984; m. KIMBERLY SUE KIMSEY, October 27, 1983, Lenexa, KS.
iii. LYNETTE RAE BUTTS, b. November 09, 1968, Paola, KS.
iv. TRACIE JO BUTTS, b. December 20, 1972, Overland Park, KS; m. KENNETH WAYNE JOHNSON, September 04, 1992, Shawnee, KS.
21. RONALD DAMON BUTTS (HARRY BUFORD, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born May 26, 1943 in Paola, KS. He married DEBORAH ANN DECK February 26, 1972 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS. She was born March 20, 1947 in Wichita, Sedgwick County, KS.
Children of RONALD BUTTS and DEBORAH DECK are:
i. DAVID ANDREW BUTTS, b. March 21, 1977, Hays, Ellis County, KS.
ii. JENNIFER ERIN BUTTS, b. October 03, 1979, Topeka, Shawnee County, KS.
22. OLA RENAY BUTTS (JOHN KENNETH, HARRY EDWIN, MOSES CLARK) was born March 20, 1943 in Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County, CA. She married GARY J. GOLDEN August 24, 1969 in Studio City, Los Angeles County, CA. He was born August 01, 1941 in Bridgeport, CN.
Child of OLA BUTTS and GARY GOLDEN is:
i. JEREMY JON GOLDEN, b. April 10, 1977, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, CA.